8.02.2006

Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold

I've been sort of out of ideas to write about the last couple weeks. I've read a couple good books and one okay one, but the writing - not so much. I choose to blame it on the heat.

My album today is an easy one, Document by R.E.M. I've had this one for a long time and it's been a good friend. I didn't buy it when it was released in 1987, though. I have to admit to being one of those bandwagon R.E.M. fans who jumped on board after 1991's Out Of Time. I worked my way backwards, and until about 1999 every R.E.M. I bought was like a perfect encapsulation of my life at the time I bought it. In other words, it was my instant soundtrack for that year.

I'm trying to remember when exactly I picked up Document and I think it was about 1992. It was an early acquisition due to the presence of everybody's favorite song "It's The End Of The World As We Know It." It's still a sweet tune, but I also enjoy the two bird themed songs on the album "Disturbance At The Heron House" and "King Of Birds." What's up with that? It also contains the minor hit "The One I Love" which one of my sharp readers had picked as an inappropriate love song. That's a good call. I never liked that song anyway.

**********

If you look to the right, you will notice my new picture. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of it but I wanted to update my photo with the longer haired version of myself. Unfortunately, Tippy was not being cooperative. We'll working on getting a better one so watch that space.

I should take this time to let you all know that Josh's birthday is tomorrow. Unlike Shawn, he is not a lady so I'm happy to say he'll be turning the big 3-0. If he still had a blog that worked, I'd suggest that people leave a message for him. Instead, I'll suggest that everyone go out their front door (or onto their back porch, etc.) and scream "Happy Birthday Josh!" at exactly 6 a.m. eastern daylight time tomorrow. Trust me, your neighbors will love it.

Now I have to go. Project Runway will be on in a minute!

5 comments:

Josh said...

I am listening to Out Of Time right now. I think I feel more comfortable being an R.E.M. fan at 30.

Hey, I like your new picture. You look really good.

Oh, we are at the KRS-One part of "Radio Song." I was hesitant about that song until I heard Michael Stipe rap on his own. Have you heard that song? It's with Neneh Cherry, and it was for a public service announcement or something. But it's a song in full.. I think it was promoting the alphabet, maybe. Which, actually, would be kind of awesome.

Shawn said...

We must have been watching Project Runway at the same time...how romantic. I was barely able to contain myself, what with the high drama and all. I was so happy when I saw who got the axing.

Happy B-day Josh!

Cheers.

Josh said...

Heidi says:

"You are either in - or you are out!"

Eileen said...

Am I the only person that dind't mind Keith? Sure he was cocky, but so was Santino. I think I might have been swayed by his Jude Law good looks.

Shawn said...

He was a big, fat cheater Eileen. Look how he pussed out on the doggie outfit too. You're becoming such a Republican now that you're the man.

Josh, I was on pins and needles waiting for this episode. Heidi is definitely in. Auf wiedersehen.