1.19.2008

The teachers tolds us, the Romans built this place

I'm getting ready to head up to Detroit for the auto show, but I thought I'd do a quick post before I left. I have some things I want to say about cocktails and how they're made, but I think that's going to have to wait for another day. Today I'll just tell you about my next album.

In a sad break with tradition, I listened to Fields of Gold: The Best of Sting 1984-1994 on my new iPod, Abbey, and not Declan. It all makes me a little nostalgic.

What doesn't make me nostalgic is the album. I find the older I get the more I like The Police and the less I like Sting's solo work. In high school, I didn't really like much of anything by The Police, but there were several Sting songs I liked. Now, everything by Sting sounds like a giant yawn to me. Even "Fields of Gold" which I've always loved despite it's massive overexposure sounds stale. I don't know why, though. Does something happen to your ears after you turn 30?

I can see it now. It's only a matter of time until all music "sounds like noise to me" and I'll complain endlessly about all the crap "kids are listening to these days." (I already do a little - emo, anyone?) I just didn't think it would start with Sting.

On the other hand, it could just be that Sting is boring. I'll stick with that.

No comments: