5.03.2006

It's better when a group isn't playing

After a weekend of endless partying and a couple days of election coverage, it's time to get back to the blog. I'd like to say it was a refreshing break, but grueling is really more the word that comes to mind. There's really only so much beer one can drink in a 48 hour period (and I think Josh discovered that this weekend). Topping it all off with election night pizza is never a good idea either.

So what does Declan have in store for me today? Oh, it's Deadringer by RJD2. I did a little reading and discovered that despite his name, he is not a robot. He's actually from just up the road in Columbus. I still like to imagine he's a robot, though.

Deadringer came out in 2002 just after Moby's follow-up to Play, a bloated pompous album called 18. I mention Moby because that's who RJD2 will remind you of. Moby, but better. Deadringer is everything 18 wasn't. It combines old soul samples with new beats and throws in a few extra treats like actual rapping. The samples are more varied than Moby and the beats are pretty good, too. My only criticism is there seems to be too many mid-tempo songs. Sometimes the tracks just blend into each other too much.

So I would definitely recommend RJD2 for anyone who wonders what the hell happened to Moby. Just let it go and buy an album from this robot guy instead.

**********
My CD shopping list for this weekend:
Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living - The Streets
How We Operate - Gomez
Best Party Ever - Boy Least Likely To
The Loon - Tapes 'N Tapes

No comments: