12.31.2005

It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks

I hoped Declan would let me leave 2005 behind with some happy tunes. Alas, that was not to be. He left me with good tunes, but necessarily happy ones.

American IV: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash is probably best known for its cover of "Hurt". The video for the song was nominated for all sorts of awards, and it makes me cry every time. The rest of the album doesn't really cheer up from there.

American IV is filled with covers of songs that might have made Cash a caricature. He makes songs like "Personal Jesus" and "Desperado" his own, though. They never sound like a gimmick.

So that's my prayer for 2006. Let's all work harder to make things our own and avoid gimmicks. That's as good a resolution as anything else.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

I'm lit! If I had bacon, I would throw it on your floor and I would sing Johnny Cash songs to you! I hope you still love me and respect me in the morning...

Shawn said...

It's possible I would also sing Gordon Lightfoot songs to you...or more likely...at you. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald comes to mind.

By the way, it's not easy to type drunk, but it is fun! I should have done this when I was getting paid to write...

Eileen said...

Now you know how Charles felt!

Oh Shawn, we were just talking about Gordon Lightfoot tonight. It's too bad you weren't there to sing with us.

Happy 2006!