1.10.2007

Naked and faking on a poorly lit stairway

Remember "Pain Killer (Summer Rain)"? It was a minor hit in the summer of 2003 for a little-know British band named Turin Brakes. I remember it. I even bought their album, Ether Song. Hell, I even saw them in concert. Granted it was because they were opening for David Gray, but I still feel like I've paid more attention to Turin Brakes than your average music listener.

"Summer Rain" is an excellent song, but I can't really say that for the rest of the album. It's one of those songs that just sticks out because it's so so much better than anything else. I spend the rest of Ether Song daydreaming and trying to think of what other band they sound like. They sound like a lot of British bands - just not as good.

**********

There are some albums coming out soon that have me really excited for the end of January. I don't remember this being a hot time of the year for record releases but I'll take it. The new Shins album, Wincing The Night Away, drops on January 23 and Some Loud Thunder by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah follows the next week. That same day sees the release of Paolo Nutini's debut album in America. It's already I hit in England and from what I've heard on his myspace page, it's something I want to check out.

All this new music should help brighten up the bleakest time of year and keep me rockin' until Neon Bible by Arcade Fire comes out on March 6th.

No comments: