4.25.2006

Coming over Waterloo, dreaming of your hands

My first album in the letter D is sort of an iTunes fluke. According to Mr. Amazon, myself and anyone with any sense, the title of today's album is Lost Songs. Somewhere along the way, though, someone in computer land decided that it's actually called David Gray Lost Songs, thus jumping it into the D's. Yes, it's nitpicky, but Mr. Gray should really learn to wait his turn.

Anyway, Lost Songs was released in 1999 on the tails of the hugely successful White Ladder. Suddenly, everything David Gray ever hummed was being burned onto a CD. This set of songs were recorded between 1995 and 1998 in the years after Gray had been dropped from a label for the second time. Needless to say, they're a little stark and sad.

The people on Amazon love this album, but I can't say I really agree. I knows me some sad and British and while this is decent I've seen sadder and Britisher. Many of the songs lack the strong melodies I love in all of David Gray's other stuff, so none of them really stick with me. I guess it would me more good coffee shop background music, but how much of that does the world need?

No comments: