6.03.2005

A new sign of the apocalypse

So NBC has this new show called Hit Me Baby, One More Time and it's almost as bad as the title. The strange thing is I really enjoyed watching it. They get these old 80's bands to come on and perform their hit, then they perform a cover of a recent hit and the audience votes on who they like best. It's like watching a train wreck. All I kept thinking was, "why would anyone ever agree to be on this show?".

Yesterday's show featured Loverboy, A Flock of Seagulls, Tiffany, CeCe Peniston and Arrested Development and should have been called "See What I Look Like 30 Ponds Heavier." The dude from A Flock of Seagulls was even scarier than when he had the crazy hair and Loverboy was completely unrecognizable. Tiffany sang well but her outfits were atrocious. She needs to give up on the stiletto heel and mall rat clothes. She's a mom now for christsake! But like I said, I couldn't stop watching.

The one bright spot was Arrested Development. "Tennessee" sounded surprisingly fresh and their cover of "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys was great. They sounded like they could give The Black Eyed Peas a run for their money.

In a singular moment of clarity, the audience voted Arrested Development as their favorite, which gave me new hope in humanity. They got $20,000 to give to the charity of their choice and maybe some new notoriety.

Next week's show features Tommy Tutone, The Knack, The Motels, Vanilla Ice and Haddawy. I'll probably watch that, too, even though I feel a little dirty when it's over.

No comments: