5.10.2005

3 CD's, see?

So do you like the title? It's an obscure Cincinnati pun. Bonus points for anyone who figures it out!

It's also apropos. Today I ended a long drought (aside from the odd iTunes song) and finally bought some music. I picked up the new Weezer album Make Believe, along with Picaresque by The Decemberists and Tourist by Athlete. I haven't given any of them serious listens yet but so far I like them all. This surprises because I kind of had mediocre expectations for all of them.

The Weezer album is just fun old style Weezerness. Whenever I listen to Weezer or Blink 182 I want to break stuff. Not in a bad way. Just in a high school prankster way. It's a good feeling.

Tourist is different than Athlete's last outing but still good. I do sort of miss the mindless catchy pop that dominated Vehicles and Animals. I need to get this straight. Athlete wants to be Coldplay and Coldplay wants to be U2, right? Well, Athlete is doing its part. We'll find out about Coldplay in June.

The biggest surprise of the three has to be The Decemberists. I bought Castaways and Cutouts a couple months ago and wasn't very impressed. I'd bought a couple of their songs on iTunes but a whole album was just too much. This time it isn't. It's a more upbeat, more melodic disk and it makes me excited to go see them at the Southgate House on Sunday. I never thought I'd say I liked a song called "Eli, the Barrow Boy" but I do. I really do.

No comments: