1.10.2006

Actually, my name is Austin Powers. Danger is my middle name.

I'm listening to all three Austin Powers soundtracks today mostly to save you, gentle reader, from reading about what is essentially the same album three times. It will also help me get the "A" albums out of the way in time for my "B" party on Friday. I have my priorities.

Just for the record, the three Austin Powers soundtracks are (in order of release):

Austin Powers: Original Soundtrack (April 29, 1997)

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me: Music from the Motion Picture (October 26, 1999)

Austin Powers in Goldmember
(July 16, 2002)

All the music on the soundtracks can pretty easily be divided into four categories:
(1) Old songs
(2) Covers of old songs
(3) New songs recorded in a style that makes them sound like old songs
(4) Background music and songs actually used in the movie

That's not to say that there aren't some good things on the soundtracks. Many of the old songs and covers are really good. They are songs from the era that have been overlooked like the Lightning Seeds cover of "You Showed Me." And Dr. Evil's version of "Hard Knock Life" is one of the funniest things I have in my iPod.

I think the first Austin Powers soundtrack is best, but perhaps a little long. It was only on that album that they felt obliged to include some of the symphonic background music from the movie. I don't really need it.

The other two soundtracks start to sound like rehashes of the original. There are enough good songs to sustain them, but the shine is a little worn.

The soundtracks did make me want to have an Austin Powers marathon sometime. I love that guy!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Well, I only have the second sound track. I really dig Lenny's version of American Woman. Makes me feel like I can kick ass.

I can't believe you have all three. You really are a soundtrack junkie..=)