1.11.2006

Live your life filled with joy and thunder

For a stretch of time, between 1990's Green and 1994's Monster, every R.E.M. album seemed to fit my life perfectly at the time they were released. They're like little capsules, the soundtrack of my life for those years. They're perfect.

1992's Automatic For The People falls right in the middle of that window. It's another album that seemed maybe too sad at first (like August and Everything After) but that was before I fully embraced sad. It didn't take too many Michigan winters before I realized that "Shiny Happy People" isn't always the song you want to hear.

Everyone raves about "Nightswimming" and "Everybody Hurts" but "Sweetness Follows" has to be my favorite song on the album. It's terribly sad but tinged with hope; my favorite kind of sad.

No comments: