1.16.2006

I love you 'cause I need to, not because I need you

I thought I'd kick off the B's with a two album review. They're related anyway, so it kind of fits.

First there's B-Sides 1980-1990 by U2 and it's not so distant cousin B-Sides 1990-2000. Once again, my friend Josh is the main reason I own either of these albums. During some point in our many days of hanging out in California he decided it was terrible that I owned The Best Of 1980-1990 album by U2 but had failed to buy the deluxe limited edition version that came with a whole extra CD of b-sides. Mix that with the fact that he is a U2 completist and didn't own a copy of The Best Of without the b-sides and a purchase was born.

One day he showed up at my place with the brand new 2 CD version of The Best Of and demanded that I give him my old greatest hits album in return (not that I cared). So now I was a more educated U2 listener and he was a more complete completist.

By the time The Best Of 1990-2000 came out, I knew better than to buy anything less than the deluxe version. So that's how I own both b-side bonus CD's. I'm not sure they've changed my life but I do like some of the remixes on the 1990-2000 album. They're great for the gym.

Speaking of great for the gym, I am hereby recommending Thunder, Lightning, Strike by The Go! Team for all your workout needs. You'd think cheerleaders clapping along to rolling drums and 70's guitars would be more annoying than motivational, but you'd be wrong.

No comments: